Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day

We did something today that I think will become a school tradition around here. We went to our local Veteran's Day parade and ceremony. It was a small turn out, but filled with veterans who have served all the way back to WWII.

You know what amazes me? Their humility.

I tend to gush sometimes...well, a lot of times. I have found veterans are uncomfortable with the gush. My heart is so full of gratitude for the men and women who have fought and died for my freedom that I want to explode all that on anyone wearing a uniform past and present. I really have to tell myself to tone it down. (My kids also keep me in check. ;)

Today was special to have my children surrounded by men and women proud to have served our country, proud to be Americans, and humble in their service.

It was cool to have finished world history with them over the course of four years, and for them to understand and have knowledge of every war fought by our soldiers. I am thankful to be a homeschool mom today, to have the freedom to school my kids at home and teach them the truth about our great country, about our history-good and bad, to be able to meet in a public square and pray to God and thank Him for our veterans and our country.

Freedom. A gift from God. A selfless sacrifice.

Seja o primeiro a comentar

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top