Monday, August 10, 2009

The Lines Have Fallen to me in Pleasant Places

I love music. I grew up in a musical family - played piano since 1st grade and clarinet since 5th grade. My parents played music all the time in our home and I met my sweet husband in the huge, well-known marching band we were both a part of. So, it was natural to me to be playing music all day Saturday while I was painting.. The Lord spoke to me many times during the day and had me in tears a couple of times. One was when he reminded me of something that happened a couple of weeks ago....

I had a very bad day. You know the kind, when you feel like you can't get anything done of value and your kids seem to notice this and for some reason they seem to take advantage of Mommy's mood and do everything a little bit MORE, like fight more, cry more, yell more, etc....
Till at the end of the day we all need a break from each other. It's on days like this that I fall into bed and talk to the Lord about how His mercies are new every morning and I can't wait to start again tomorrow. Nothing better than a complete DO-OVER!! Have you ever been there??

On this particular bad day, I made a decision to get up even earlier the next day because I knew I needed to spend more time with the Lord, get right with Him and prepare myself for a new day with (hopefully), a better attitude! I made my hot tea and sat in my special chair with my Bible. The Lord had me reading through Esther this summer and it was during this quiet moment that He showed me how nothing surprises Him. He knew the Israelites were going to be hated by Haman and that Haman would try to destroy them so He arranged for Esther to become Queen.

Then it hit me.... He knew all about yesterday BEFORE it happened. He knew that all those things on my to-do list were not going to get done. He knew that the child who had all the fits would have them. He knew that the accidents, the spilled milk, the broken things were all going to be broken. He knew that the child who spoke to me in that tone and with those words was going to say that exact thing. He was NOT surprised. It may have surprised me. I could not have predicted how bad the day went. But He could have. He already knew. In fact, He ordained that day to happen in that way.

Maybe it was for me to learn a lesson. Or my children to learn some lessons. Maybe they needed these lessons to grow them up for the next day. Maybe I needed them so that the next time I have a bad day, my response will be with more wisdom, more control and less of me.

At any rate, it did not surprise Him and He was in control the whole time. He never left His throne and yet He was with me through it all.

He showed me in my quiet time these verses:
Psalm 16:5-11
The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You support my lot. The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. I will bless the LORD who has counseled me; Indeed, my mind instructs me in the night. I have set the LORD continually before me; Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will dwell securely. For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol; Nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay. You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

This "lot" and "portion" that He has given me does not surprise Him. I can be glad and rejoice in the little trial in my life because I know He is with me and has ordained them for a purpose. I may not see the purpose right away or even in this life, but I can trust He knows what He is doing and He is not SURPRISED!!


So, as I was painting and listening to music, this song, History, by Matthew West came on my ipod. Here are the lyrics:

Its been a bad day, you've been looking back
And all you can see is everything you wish you could take back
All your mistakes, a world of regrets
All of those moments you would rather forget
I know it's hard to believe
Let me refresh your memory

Chorus:Yesterday is history
And history is miles away
So leave it all behind you
Let it always remind you of the day
The day that love made history
You know you can't stay right where you fell
The hardest part is forgiving yourself
But let's take a walk into today
And don't let your past get in the way

Repeat chorusYeah Yeah

Would you believe that you are history
In the making, in the making
Every choice that you are making
Every step that you are taking
Every chain that you are breaking
History is in the making
Every word that you are saying
Every prayer that you are praying
Every chain that you are breaking
History is in the making
History is in the making
History is in the making


Blessings,
Michelle

Job 31:4 Does He not see my ways and number all my steps?

2 Comments:

Staci W. said...

Loved this. Thank you, Michelle!

Musings of a Housewife said...

This is a beautiful post, and I believe every word. Isn't it comforting to know that nothing surprises God?

Thanks for stopping by and weighing in on my 2 questions! :-) I hope you stop by again.

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top